11.16.2014

My Brilliant Friend

Do you have drama with your friendships? I have a friend that seems to get into trouble with friendships. I hear all about the drama she sees. I've read some of the emails she's received. I've met all the people the drama is with. I always have the same advice though. We choose our friends. We are friends with people who make us feel good about ourselves. Friendship is kind of selfish if you think about it. Many times friendships are seen as abusive. I don't deny at all the truth of abuse. But even in an abusive relationship, often the abused feels that sense of needing to help, to heal the abuser so that they don't continue the behavior. They love the person so much, they think of all the good of that person and it matters more to them than the bad behavior.  Now that is a total extreme. But it is kind of what I remind my friend. And note, that none of the friendships in question are abusive. You chose that person to be your friend because of what you like in them. Now you are seeing things you don't like.  What matters more?  Does the bad outweigh the good? At the end of the day are you better off with them as your friend?

Obviously by the title of the book, you can tell that it is about friendship. It is about a friendship where there could be a lot of hurting of one another. The characters have to choose what matters most. At the end of the day, is this a friendship you want.

This is the first book in a series. The books are actually written in Italian (by an unknown author... they say they don't know if it is a male or female, that even the publisher hasn't met the author... funny stuff. )  I think the second book is now available in the US. I have so many books on my too read list right now, I haven't decided if I have a need to know more of this story or not yet.  I was satisfied with how the first book ended. I may have to read some reviews before I decide. For now, this is a truthful story about a childhood to early adult life friendship.

I wish the friend I speak of was more into reading. I'd recommend this story to her. For now, I just recommend it to you.

Enjoy,

No comments: