9.25.2012

The Rise of Nine




When I finished this book, I started thinking about authors and their purpose.  I think any writers starts out wanting to publish that first novel. To write something so awesome, that a publishing company will take one look (read) and they'll pay anything to have the rights to publish the book.  Some want to win the coveted Pulitzer, the Newberry, the Nobel of Literature.  Sometime I read books that win such awards, and I think "why did this win?" And sometimes I read books, those that don't win or do, regardless, and I think "this was written only to attract a lot of attention and sell lots of copies but the content and quality don't matter." (Think 50 Shades of Grey. I won't be reading it, but I can tell by the hype that it is that sort of book.)

This is the third book in the Lorien Legacies series. There are 6 of the Lorien Garde in this story (you'll know what that means if you've read the other books). They are split into two groups (a group of two and a group of four).  The chapters with the group of two are always from the view of Number Four.  The chapters with the group of four alternate though, and  are told from the point of three of the four.  As you start each of those chapters though, it takes a minute to figure out who is talking. I enjoyed reading as the Garde members continued to discover and develop their "alien powers."  I felt like they could have told more of the story though. And that is where my first paragraph comes into play.  I don't know what the next book has in store, but I am going to guess it will be the end of the story.  As this book was ending, I thought - we really could have just added another 100 pages and finished out the story.  But that didn't happen.  Why not?  So that they can sell another book.  Since I just get them from the library, not too much of a big deal to me, but for those who buy all their books, probably a big deal. 

I like these stories. I think it is a clever idea, adding on to the other aliens trying to take over the world books out there, but not too sci-fi (because that's not my style.)

Enjoy.

No comments: