10.05.2011

The Emperors of Chocolate: Inside the Secret World of Hershey and Mars

I am allergic to chocolate, have been since I was about two years old.The smell, growing up, it made me sick to my stomach. I learned to recognize the taste so that I could immediately spit it out should I chance to eat it. I got to pretty good at picking chocolate chips out of a cookie. I can peel the cakey cookie off a Fat Boy and enjoy the delicious vanilla ice cream on the inside. Growing up, I loved me some bit-o-honey. And then there was ET, and our shared love of Reese's Pieces. Did you know that ET saved Reese's Pieces? I've known that for a very, very long time - but if you didn't, you can read about it in this book.

I was fascinated by this book. Chocolate and me - not friends. But I sure did love reading about it's history in the United States. I read about how the Hershey milk chocolate flavor was developed. I thought the description interesting, having never tasted it, as I tried to imagine what it is like.

I am all about competition on the football field, basketball court, etc - even a little friendly competition in the marketplace - but boy is this a fierce battle between Mars and Hershey.

I totally recommend this book. I learned so much. In fact, I kind of want to work for one of the companies now. Do you think they'd take me? They wouldn't have to worry about profit loss due to employee theft on my part, though I guess I wouldn't be able to contribute much to their product development.

Enjoy!

No comments: