10.03.2011

Ender's Game

 


I am back. Yes, it's true, I have been MIA with this blog!  Three kids have done me in! :)  However,  I have still been reading (of course! Love it too much not to!).  Time to play a bit of catch-up!

In three words I deem this book:  inventive, raw, yet (kinda) boring.

I was really excited to read this much talked about, highly acclaimed book, especially since it centered on the genre of science fiction (my cup of tea...anything fantasy and the like).  But I am so sad to say, I was kind of disappointed.  Why?  Because I felt it anti-climatic and a bit long winded.  While I agree that Card has a massively imaginative brain, there were large parts in this book that quite frankly, bored me.  All the battle sequences and the talk of battle sequences were a touch long winded and made we wonder if maybe I was the wrong gender to fully appreciate this book.

However, there were parts of this book that intrigued me and kept me reading.  Like the relationships Ender had with those around him.  Weird, right?  Especially his phycotic, narcissist brother.  I pitied Ender; void of the true warmth of real relationships.  Even his almost normal relationship with his sister arguably lacked the tangible intimacy of a true relationship.

Last thoughts: I think this book is a great book to discuss in a book group and English class.  But not the book you want to curl up next to a fire on your chase lounge to read.

2 stars out of 5

1 comment:

Sami said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this book. It was so ahead of it's time when it was written. I even got my husband to read it (he hates reading anything fiction.) I even read the books that came after it.