9.07.2010

mockingjay.

well, i have a few things to say about this one. so instead of just commenting on lisa's post, i'll post about it again.

first of all, i liked it a lot. i will even labeled it as loved. however, it was not what i expected. and it was totally different from the first two books in the trilogy. it reminded me a little of ender's game {which, if you haven't read, i totally recommend}. much more science fiction than the first two. if you haven't read catching fire recently, i recommend re-reading it before you read mockingjay. i didn't, and i struggled a bit to remember characters. i could have used a refresher on how catching fire ended, but i was lazy :)

*spoiler alert*

i kind of didn't like how katniss was in a deep depression and suicidal throughout a lot of the book. kirsten told me before i started that she felt it was emotionally draining to read, and i totally agree. it was a pretty depressing book. i was bummed that finnick died, just after being reunited with annie! and prim's death seemed unnecessary to me. interesting, though, how the series began with katniss saving prim's life, and ended with prim's death.

anywho.

it was good. glad i read it. glad she made the right choice with peeta :) i could have used another chapter at the end about their relationship, but overall, i was satisfied.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I totally agree. I was like that was SO sad, but good. I don't know why Suzanne felt like she had to end it so soon, that was the best part of the book. The other books I couldn't wait to re read, but this one I was like .. uh...

still great

dave + kirst said...

I agree 100%. Emotionally draining, lots of trips to the hospital for Katniss, lots of science fiction, wish more time would have been spent on the Peeta relationship, and I wish they would have researched that the Coin lady really did send in the helicopter killing Katniss' sister so she would have been vindicated. But really, really liked it.

dave + kirst said...

I agree 100%. Emotionally draining, lots of trips to the hospital for Katniss, lots of science fiction, wish more time would have been spent on the Peeta relationship, and I wish they would have researched that the Coin lady really did send in the helicopter killing Katniss' sister so she would have been vindicated. But really, really liked it.