5.27.2010

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter


While serving a mission in Uruguay, I taught two gentlemen who were roommates. They had lived together for many years. The time came for them to be baptized. They accepted the invitation, the date was set. But there was something a little disheartening - a doubt planted by people that sat in the back, well the front, of my mind, the mind of my companion, the minds of the Elders. Two men - living together. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. They passed their interviews, they were baptized, they are still active members of the Church 12+ years later.

This book was recommended to me by a friend. The reason I shared the story first was my friend read one thing, and I read another. I read a story full of interesting people and interesting friendships. A story showing that people need people. We all would like someone to listen to us, and this story shows how that doesn't necessarily mean they need to say anything back.

Written in 1940, the message is still applicable today. Written so long ago, it isn't the fast paced book of today's USA100 list. It isn't a quick read, it isn't a vacation by the pool book. But it's definitely a great read when you have a few minutes here, a few minutes there to sit and relax and read a book.

Enjoy.

No comments: