11.17.2009

The Book Thief


First let me say I wish my book had this picture as it's cover (above) - I like it. Thought I'd switch it up and use a different cover for my book review. Speaking of...


In three words I deem this book: moving, beautiful, and clever.


Loved this book. Yes, it took me longer than the average person to read it, but it was not because of it's content, rather my priorities. And a necessity to have to choose not to read it even though I wanted to. At any rate, I did finally finish it and thought it absolutely divine. How can I find a book about death delightsome you ask? I don't know, guess you'll just have to read it. :)


I won't cover the synopsis. Others have already done that here and here. But what I will say is how beautiful and clever the writing was. And you know me, if an author has a unique and beautiful way of using their words, it absolutely captures me -almost regardless of the content. Almost.


Here are some of my FAVORITE examples. Enjoy:
"Upon her arrival, you could still see the bite marks of snow on her hands and the frosty blood on her fingers. Everything about her was undernourished. Wirelike shins. Coat hanger arms. She did not produce it easily, but when it came, she had a starving smile." (page 31)


"He was the crazy one who had painted himself black and defeated the world. She was the book thief without the words. Trust me, though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like rain." (page 80)
4.5 out of 5

4 comments:

Gina said...

Ariel, I'm reading The Hunger Games now. ;)

Gina said...

Am I breaking the "rules of the game" by telling you my next book in the comments section?

ariel said...

nope! i'm reading it too! and loving it! and every time i hear "uprising" by muse i think of it, thanks to anthony.

dave + kirst said...

I've got 70 pages left of this book and I'm absolutely loving it! And I just got 'The Hunger Games' from the library last night - guess we're all on the same page :)