7.25.2013

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail


I've been pretty open about my dislike for the book Eat, Pray, Love. The book that gets no stars in my opinion.  This book, Wild, this is more my style of discovering yourself. This is someone who truly sacrificed to find out who she was. Who really got to know herself. I'll admit, the copy I read, didn't have the Oprah book club sticker on it. It wasn't until I downloaded the image for this blog that I saw it was on her list. But don't judge. Oprah does pick good books once in a while.

Here is a link to a site that gives you the background on the story: http://www.cherylstrayed.com/wild_108676.htm.  I didn't pay much attention, but I am sure it was written around the time of the E, P, L - self discovery movement where every woman was given her opinion on how to find yourself - how to leave it all behind, and do something totally new, and how to become a different person.  There are many similarities between the background of this woman and the E, P, L lady. But I just liked this lady more. I felt she was more honest. I felt that she did sacrifice to battle the demons of her past. She acknowledged her mistakes, and moved on.  And she didn't give up, even though things were really tough.

I personally would like to hike the Appalachian Trail someday (though not alone), so in a way her book gave me that little reminder kick that hey, maybe I should start looking into it, and figuring out just how to accomplish that bucket list item of mine.

I also appreciated that she recognized what might be going too far, and she made changes to her plans, she adapted, she went without A LOT, and she was totally OK.  Many people could learn from her, I believe.  I enjoyed this one, I recommend it.  Hopefully you will give it a chance.

Enjoy.

No comments: