3.08.2013

Gone Girl



I loved the ending of this book. It was twisted. It was unexpected. It was not where I thought parts 1 and 2 were going to end up.

To be honest, parts 1 and 2 were pretty predictable.  I found myself wondering why this book is so popular.  But then part 3 happened.  And, wow!

What did I like about this book? If you don't mind, I'm going to share the text conversation I had with my cousin's husband after I finished. He had just finished the book the week before and wanted to know what I thought when I finished. (Oh, and this is word for word as written. We are both the type of person to use full sentences, punctuation, capitalization, etc when texting.) Please note, there are some possible spoilers, but in rereading, I think you won't understand most of it until you are done reading yourself.  I recommend rereading this conversation after you finish, and perhaps add your comments after as well.  What you'd have to add to our conversation.

Me:  I just finished the book. I see what you mean about the ending. Now I am torn. Ugh? Gonna have to read her other books still.

Him: I know, right? So what's your final verdict?

Me: I liked it, I like how twisted the story became. it actually was believable that that would happen.

Him: Yes, definitely! I didn't like that she turned Amy into a sociopath because I loved her journal version of Amy so much.  The strong, feminist, take no nonsense girl who was wronged by the cheating husband. But the longer I sit with it, the more I love it. She had me totally convicting Nick in the first 1/2 to really rooting for him in the back 1/4 and ultimately, neither is a good person and the kind of deserve each other. Just love how manipulated my allegiances were every step of the way. Smartly written.

Me: They did deserve each other. That is for sure. I thought it speaks really well to people not being themselves in courtship and trying to find the perfect idea of a person instead of getting to know a person and falling in love with the person and not the idea of someone. 

Him: Well said! I totally agree with that. I think so much of it just came across as astute and sharp observations of both genders. She write both so incredibly well.  Definitely one of my favorite books this year for that reason. Just a fun little page turner.

So there you go.  I think you should read it, it is good. Know that as you read parts 1 and 2 that you might find it a little predictable. But that is the magic of the writing of this author.  She pulls you right in, you think you know exactly where she is going, but you don't.  It is AWESOME!

Please, enjoy!

No comments: