11.28.2011

Extremely Close & Incredibly Loud

 

In three words I deem this book:  extremely creative, heartfelt, and incredibly sweeping. (Was that more than three words?)


On a whim I picked up this book from my friend's house while attending her birthday party.  She recommended that I read it.  It isn't the type of book I'd pick out on my own, so excited to read it upon her recommendation, I started it right away.  What a brilliant book.  And so touching, so moving.  My gosh, so moving.  Here's the synopsis:

Nine-year-old Oskar Schell has embarked on an urgent, secret mission that will take him through the five boroughs of New York. His goal is to find the lock that matches a mysterious key that belonged to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on the morning of September 11. This seemingly impossible task will bring Oskar into contact with survivors of all sorts on an exhilarating, affecting, often hilarious, and ultimately healing journey.


What I loved about this book was how real it was.  So real, that I need to read a fantasy or cheesy love book now.  This book exhausted all of my emotions.  I laughed, I cried.  That is the sign of a good read, for me anyway.  However, although a great book, I am taking some points away from it for some language and sexuality and confusion.  This book for the most part is narrated by a witty, brilliant nine-year-old boy, but on occasion it jumps back a forth from him to a couple of other narrators and honesty, maybe I'm just slow, but I sometimes I found it difficult to follow.  And there is nothing worse than being confused, or not understanding the author, while reading a good book.  The bit of confusion I experienced didn't spoil much, and I was able to understand the book as whole even with it.  I was happy for that.

Right after I tell my husband they could totally make this book into an amazing movie, I discover they already have.  Here's the trailer (with Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock no less!!)  CLICK HERE

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments: