9.23.2011

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Last book from my trip, here's post #8 for tonight.

This story was amazing. Once in a while, I felt as though I read the story already, but too much of it, I did not not know. It is possible that I started it at some time, but had to return it to the library before finishing? I am glad I read it now though so I can share it with you.

We had a discussion in our home last night about tolerance vs acceptance. We talked about the different situations or relationships that call for tolerance vs acceptance. I think this story explores that same subject. I saw as our narrator moved from tolerance to acceptance to love of the namesake of the story. Other characters choose only tolerance of him, some immediately felt love. Some acceptance, and some chose to never even tolerate him. What will you think of him?

I loved the authors choice of putting the dialogue of our namesake in all CAPS. Every time the character spoke, I really heard his voice in my mind. Such an effective writing style.

You have to put aside your religious beliefs when reading this book. They can hold you back from enjoying the awkwardness of this story. You will miss the growth of the characters. you will miss the power of the friendships developed throughout the story. Don't worry, there is nothing sacrilegious or offensive. Just another way of looking at one's relationship with God. Remember, tolerance.

I really enjoyed this story. It was a book I started well before my trip, but finished the day I arrived on vacation. It is another book with such an amazing story. I don't even know what to tell you except I really enjoyed this story. I so recommend the book.

Please, enjoy!

No comments: