6.03.2011

the city of ember: the first book of ember


I have a bunch of books to post about. We went on vacation to Mexico in May and i spent a lot of time reading in the car, on the plane, in the airports, on the beach... So, bear with me.

I had no idea this book was a movie until after I read it and mentioned it to my sister in law, and she said "Oh, I have seen that movie!" Whaaaa..? Come to find out, it is a movie starring the little girl from The Lovely Bones who is a terrible actress. I'm judgmental, I know. But she's awful. Anyway, never seen the movie, probably never will. But I enjoyed the book and I think I'll continue with the series. As far as I can tell, there are three books out with a fourth due to release in August.

The city of Ember was built as a last refuge for the human race. Two hundred years later, the great lamps that light the city are beginning to flicker. When Lina finds part of an ancient message, she's sure it holds a secret that will save the city. She and her friend Doon must decipher the message before the lights go out on Ember forever!

The story was very entertaining and had just the right amount of plot twists. I would have appreciated a little more character development and background. Something I felt was creative was how the characters would run into words or slang that are used in our vocabulary, and items we see and use every day, and have no idea what they were. They were all ancient items to them (because this is in the future) and the lost vernacular puzzled them. It was fun. I loved the way it ended, and I plan to read the next one. 
All in all it was a fast, easy and enjoyable read.

1 comment:

Debbie Faubion said...

The movie was just horrible, I'm sorry to say. Skip it and stick with the book. I haven't read the other books in the series yet, though.