3.23.2011

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks


A few months ago I moved into my aunt's house. She was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Fortunately, she now has a clean bill of health. A friend recommended this book to me after learning about what was going on, and I am glad she did. I am a little surprised that I didn't know anything about the HeLa cell after the science classes that I have taken. But I learned so much in reading this book.

This is the story of an amazing woman, amazing because of the contributions she unintentionally, unknowingly and actually unfortunately made for all of us today. Her circumstances were devastating, her family has continued to face difficult times, but I am glad they shared their story.

I absolutely recommend this book.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

ariel said...

going on the list. but not at the top... i need something happy after reading the glass castle!