9.04.2010

The Magicians


So I'm not sure what to think of this book.  I enjoyed it, let me start with that. But sometimes I wondered if it is mocking other book series or just merging story lines all together. And when other stories are mentioned, I can't tell if they are referencing the fictional book or the characters as though they are real. This book is a conglomeration of Harry Potter (who is referenced, but again, I'm not sure if it's referencing the fictitious story or the character as though he is real) and The Chronicles of Narnia series.  And that really is what it is.  The first half is a Hogwarts like experience, the second half is adventures in Narnia, though the "sons of Adam and daughters of Eve" can perform magic. I was waiting for the vampires and werewolves to make an appearance.
I hope I'm not steering you away from the book.  It is good. I did enjoy it.  Another one I read in a day while sitting on the lake's shore.  I would just say if you have other books you'd really like to read though, read them first. Pick this one up when you don't have anything on your list, and are looking for for something to read.  A good book, but it seems to have been written to fit the mold of what is popular these day.

Enjoy.

No comments: