8.09.2009

the time traveler's wife- slightly edited.

Photobucket

started. did not finish.

call me a goody-two-shoes if you will, but i have a very very low tolerance for trashiness {basically anything racier than stephenie meyer... and breaking dawn was pushing it for me} in books. this is why i hate anything by nicholas sparks. and i also hated atonement. it's hard to come by contemporary literature that doesn't have a few racy parts... and that's why i tend to lean more towards young adult fiction! i don't think you're the devil if you like any of these books... but they are not for me! the book sounded super interesting and romantic and i love the whole concept of time travel. unfortunately there were two naughty {to me} parts in the first 55 pages, so i'm not going to finish. the first one i would have let slide... but the second was slightly disturbing. if you're interested in reading this and you have a higher "racy part" tolerance than i do, you should ask someone else who has read the book how they liked it!!

i will be playing it safe with my next read: little women :)

9 comments:

Marianne said...

Ha Ha! I'm glad you don't think I'm the devil, because I loved this book. For me, I have a hard time with naughtiness in a book when the people aren't married (or in this case going to be married.) But if they are married then it usually doesn't bother me. However, I will say that there was one part in this book that really did bother me. It was towards the end so you probably didn't read it. I read this probably a year ago, but I still remember it, and am still bugged by it.
Basically, I did love the story, though.
PS- I think I am more offended by the Twilight series because it is geared toward young adults, and because Edward shows up in Bella's bed all the time and yet still thinks he's virtuous. (?) Anyway, that's another discussion.

Rachel said...

There were a few racey parts. I read passed them so fast that I can't even remember what they were about. I am sad you didn't like it, I was looking forward to discussing it with you because the rest of the story is really, really good. I'm with you, though, young adult fiction is really the only safe bet these days.

ariel said...

marianne... i agree with you on stephenie meyer. it's funny though... i hated breaking dawn because it was too racy and they were married by then! the first three didn't bother me too much but i didn't like how it went into detail about their honeymoon and its YA fiction.

ariel said...

rachel...

bah! i wish i could get past it but i was so disturbed by page 55 and i just knew there would be much more to come... considering i hadn't even gotten to any really romantic parts yet.

i think my mom has rubbed off on me... weird.

ariel said...

p.s. you two should send me your email addresses so i can invite you to be authors. if you want :) no pressure, but i would love more authors!

Rachel said...

I want to be an author. I didn't know you were looking for more (just noticed your "wanna be an author?" sidebar gadget.) As you can tell I pretty much LOVE reading. I have my little side reading blog which is really just more for me than anything.

rachelkpeterson@yahoo.com

dave + kirst said...

Does anyone have this book so I can borrow it? I'm on hold at the library and I'm like #200 in line and I don't want to buy it if I don't end up liking it. We'll see if I can brave the racey parts - I'll let you know.

Rachel said...

Hey Kirstin, I have it. You can borrow mine.

ariel said...

i also have it, and would gladly give it to you :)