8.22.2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


"Treat yourself to this book, please--I can't recommend it highly enough."
{Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love}


And I couldn't agree more!!

In three words I deem this book: witty, heartfelt, and very charming.

Since this book has already been read and posted about {see here}, I'll skip the "this is what it is about" part and just say. I, too, ADORED this book! Ah. Such a great read. Its book like these that make me want to cut TV out of the life forever and just read. I borrowed this book, but am pretty sure I need my own copy so I can stare at it's pretty cover and lend it out to all my dear friends (see now I'm talking like Juilet Ashton). This book WAS addicting! Thanks for the recommend Ariel, loved it!
My favorite characters:
♥ Juliet Ashton (of course...so witty, intellectual, and kind; always giving people the beneifit of the doubt)
♥ Isola Pribby (she's a crack-up!)
♥ Eben, Amelia, & Dawsey (these three are just strong, amazing characters in the book. The kind of people you respect and feel safe around)
Here were some of my favorite parts in it (among many):
"Now about Markham V. Reynolds (Junior). Your questions regarding that gentleman are very delicate, very subtle, very much like being smacked in the head with a mallet." (pg 85)

"Quiet apart from my interest in their interest in reading, I have fallen in love with two men: Eben Ramsey and Dawsey Adams. Clovis Fossey and John Booker, I like. I want Amelia Maugery to adopt me; and me, I want to adopt Isola Pribby." (pg 93)

"Natural curly hair is a curse, and don't ever let anyone tell you different." (pg 118) AMEN! :)

2 comments:

ariel said...

can't wait to read this one again :) my only complaint was that it ended kind of abruptly. i would have liked to know what happens with kit, though i assume juliet & dawsey adopt her.

ClaysJenna said...

Seriously amazing book! Top five favorite books!! Glad you enjoyed it!! Its refreshing to read a good clean love story :)