8.19.2009

The Giver

Book Cover:
Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community.
When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone hold the memories to the true pain and pleasure of life. Now it's time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

My opinion:
Jonas is a sweet, cute, smart, funny character that I loved. If you like books where YOU decide the ending, then you may love this book. If you also like to figure out the authors underlying meaning, then you may love this book. I, on the other hand, thought The Giver was entertaining, weird, a WAY easy & short read, but I extremely disliked the ending :) So read at your own risk. Although, I think a lot of people have already read The Giver in school or whatever. I decided to read it since my friend Kim named her baby Asher. After Jonas' sweet, silly best friend.

5 comments:

ariel said...

somehow i made it through jr high and high school without reading this. or if i did, i don't remember. maybe i won't bother, though, if i won't like the ending???

Jamie said...

Sorry I put liked a little :) Liked was too strong for me... But I'll fix it!

Rachel said...

I remember reading this sometime in junior high and really liking it. It is one of those books that "has you" right up until the end and then it sort of melts into a dreamlike confusion. I remember having to reread the last few pages because I was left thinking "huh?"

Jamie said...

Exactly!! But I still wasn't satisfied after reading the end a couple times :)

Rachel said...

Oh yeah, I still couldn't tell you what the H happened in the end. I don't think anyone can.