2.05.2014

Going Vintage


So I've been really sick the last week and a half which means that I haven't gotten much sleep because I can't stop coughing or my throat has been so swollen that breathing is difficult and thereby sleep is difficult (I actually did not get a single minute of sleep last night. I'm going on 30+ hours awake right now. Not a good thing (unless I'm running a Ragnar relay race.) I digress. All this sickness has meant lots of reading, at least I'm relaxing and trying to get better.

This one was read on a sleepless night. And I loved it.  I loved the notion of what the main character does.

You see, just because I work in the IT (technology) field, that doesn't mean technology does not control my life.  I leave my cell phone at home all the time, or in my bedroom when I am elsewhere in the house. Facebook is not my social life.  My personal blog is a way for family and friends to know what is going on in my life because I'm just not big into talking about myself, but I can write, I can journal, online.  I think we should be able to make it through 3 hours of church without checking our Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter (the three most visited sites by the way in LDS meetinghouses during the Church block... um, what about http://www.lds.org/?lang=eng folks?) Again, digressing.

I think it a great challenge for any of us to "go vintage" as this character does, giving up many of the modern advances.

I think the story does a good job of portraying the thoughts and actions of teenagers, of their parents; portraying the assumptions that people make of one another, our gut reactions; portraying that a simpler life isn't a bad life, an uncool life.

I'd put this in the great vacation read book category. I think it is great for the teenage audience as well. Read it first though; you're the moms, you know best.

Enjoy!

No comments: