12.13.2013

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead




Yesterday my cousin posted this video on Facebook. Have a watch:



I watched it and immediately realize, this is the author of the book I was listening to in my car.  This was the next business book I was listening to in my car.  Another book aimed at women.  This book is written by the COO of Facebook. A working mother of two.

As I started this one, I started to wonder if I was going to enjoy it. I was worried about her purpose in writing the book. In the end, I'm' glad she wrote the book.  She addresses the importance of the role of mothers who choose to stay home, the role of mothers who choose to stay home - but work from home, the role of mothers who work away from the home, single women who work.

It was interesting to listen to her perspective.  Sometimes I'd hear the start of a subject and think, uh oh, now we're going to hear it. But she ends up making a point that I agree with.  I sometimes wonder if I am adopting the wrong perspective re: women in the workplace, the role of women, etc. And my wrong perspective, I mean the Nazi feminist that we all fear. But Sandberg makes some really great points, and I found I was relieved that I agreed with her.

There was something I wanted to talk about that she discusses in her books. But here it is from my perspective.  When I was hired by my company, the job they wanted me to fill was going to be vacated in the next year by someone who was retiring. So I was hired in a lower position, knowing that I'd advance soon.  When the time came, and the offer of promotion was presented, I went to meet with HR.  The HR rep at that time was a woman. I went to meet with her, and she told me that I should feel lucky that I was being promoted, that it was rare for someone to be promoted from within.  What?  Then she told me because it was rare, that she fought for me to get the position.  I wasn't sure what to think of that.  She wasn't actually the one offering me the job in that she didn't interview me and decide to give me the job. The department director made that call.  But the worst was what she said next.  Because it was so rare (which by the way is SO not the case) for them to promote from within, they LOWERED the starting salary for the level I was being moved up to.  My doubting that she fought for me totally went out the window with that comment. I didn't even know what to say, I remained silent. I was a little over a year out of college. I hadn't received any career training - as in, what to do in interviews, pay negotiation, benefit negotiation, etc.  I didn't even know I was supposed to do that. I assume everyone watches out for everyone, everyone is honest, everyone has your best interest in mind.  This was the first rude awakening of my naivety.  It was also the first time I realized the importance of women sticking together in the workplace.  I have so many thoughts on this topic. I have been pushed down my many men, but it is when a woman pushes me down, that is when I am the most bothered (yes, it greatly bothers me when men push me down too, but not as much.)  And I'll be honest, there are women in my office who BUG me.  Women who think that because they are women, they should get more praise, or a higher position, etc - based on gender, not on  merit.  I am all about merit. I am all about proving my worth, my value.  It shouldn't matter that I am a girl.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this book. I think it is fitting for women of all walks of life, in all stages of life.

Enjoy.

No comments: