8.24.2012

Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir)


I should have taken it as a sign when the second sentence of the book the author refers to herself as “that-weird-chick-who-says-%*@!-a-lot” and of course, she uses the real word. I should have taken it as a sign when it took me 3 hours to read 60 pages. Well, actually I did take that hint and gave up reading.

I thought it sounded like it would be a good read. I’ve mentioned before that after a while of reading I just skip over the swearing and don’t even notice it much. And I think that happened, I don’t think I was noticing her sailor mouth, in fact, she was probably tamer than the girl who wrote Julie and Julia. What it really came down to was I was bored. I wasn’t enjoying the story. I thought it would be funny. I thought I would laugh out loud as I was sitting in my lounge chair on the lake.  But I wasn’t. 

Her style of humor is not my style.  I just didn’t like it, so I stopped reading and picked up another book. I rarely, rarely do that – but I did this time. 

Maybe she writes your style of humor?  She has a blog, www.thebloggess.com, if you want to check that out first. I probably should have done that.

Oh well, enjoy if this is your style of book.

No comments: