8.30.2010

I am the Messenger

 

Well, I just returned from a nice long vacation.  My ideal vacation involves lots of fun outdoor activities and lots of time to just relax and read. Mission accomplished, well almost. I have to admit, I didn't read as much as I wanted to, but I read enough.  I thought I'd start with this book. You see, there seem to be a lot of comments about my being a speed reader and how I get to read so much... hehe.  Truth be told, I do read fast. Each of the books I'll be posting about over the next few days, I read each one of them in a a 24 hour period, well two of them, together, I read in an 8 hour period. Yah, yah, yah...  

The reason I am starting with this book is because when I picked it up from the library, I thought the title looked a little familiar. But I didn't give it a second thought.  I picked it up to read and just had this feeling I recognized the cover and wondered why...but I still started to read.  About half way through the book, I accepted that I indeed did read this book a few of years ago when it first came out. But I couldn't remember any specifics about the story. I did keep reading because though I didn't remember much, I did remembered that I like the story. And I liked it the second time I read it. 

And what's even better? I just realized, because I just looked at the name of the author - it's the same fellow who wrote The Book Thief, one of my favorite books ever. Folks, this screams "READ ME!!!"

I don't watch many movies twice. Besides the BofM, I can't think of many books I've read twice, unless it was for a paper for school.  But I really do like this story. It is a feel good story. The first few pages, maybe chapters have quite a bit of swearing, but then it just fades away mostly - or maybe I stopped noticing. But please don't let that hold you back which is why I mention it. I don't like the TV shows that pick at people's weaknesses (case in point: American Idol auditions - you catch my drift?)  I do love stories about takings one's weaknesses and making them strengths.  The is an awesome story about the growth of one boy - how his life turns around with the help of others and by his helping others.  Think of It's a Wonderful Life.  (It's my favorite movie. It's a movie I can watch over and over.) George Bailey learns that he does matter, that he is important by getting a glance of what life would be like in Bedford Falls if he hadn't been born.  Well, this story is the reverse.  Ed gets a glimpse at what his life could be, what he can mean to others, when he starts helping others. And I like that it didn't end with everything falling into place perfectly. Hope that doesn't spoil anything for you...

I absolutely recommend this book. And I think once I finish this semester of school (I started back today, and I have three classes on top of working full time, so I won't post too many books after I finish posting all these from my trip....) I would like to read the other stories Zusak has written. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Also, for what it is worth...while I do read quickly, and I do post about many books - heaven knows ladies, I'd give it up for a day in most of your shoes. So I'll take my books for now, but can't wait for the day when something else, or someone else, will be more demanding of my time. Count your many blessings =)

Enjoy

1 comment:

stephani said...

so glad to hear someone else loved it! i think this is a book i will re-read as well :)