4.13.2009

the memory keeper's daughter.

{from the cover} This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. Compulsively readable and deeply moving, The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted story of parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love.

Meh. I didn't love this book. For me it was definitely not "compulsively readable". I kind of had to force myself to finish. I have a hard time reading a book when I can't connect with any of the characters. The novel is split into two parallel stories. You'll read a couple of chapters about David & his family, and then you'll read a couple of chapters about Caroline and the daughter that David gave away. Over the years, David's lie tears his family apart. The whole story of his family is depressing and frustrating... all of this pain & separation caused by his split-second decision and the lie he tells to cover it up. I just want to grab him by the neck and say "TELL THE TRUTH!". Caroline's story was much more interesting to me. I enjoyed reading about her struggles & triumphs raising the daughter with Down syndrome. The ending was only slightly satisfying.

Overall I thought the book was depressing and frustrating, though well written. It wasn't really my cup of tea. But hey, if it sounds interesting to you, knock yourself out! I have a copy I would gladly lend {give} to you!

5 comments:

Marianne said...

I read this last fall and felt exactly the same way. It was really forgettable, and not really that great of a story for me. I wanted David and his wife to go to counseling!

Brittany said...

I love Marrianne's comment. I agree, it was hard to connect with the character's because I would have never given my child away. But I did think the writing was excellent. And the scandal was entertaining. Good review.

Caprene said...

I think it was Lifetime who did a film bu the same title? Loved the movie, which is odd when the book isn't so hot. You might want to try the movie...

Rachel said...

I remember reading this and loving it until the part where the parents have affairs. It didn't feel right. I saw the last half of the movie and actually liked the movie better (gasp!)

ariel said...

so many people have said the movie was good. i'm going to have to watch it.