11.13.2008

a christmas carol.

"I have endeavoured in this Ghostly little book, to raise the Ghost of an Idea, which shall not put my readers out of humour with themselves, with each other, with the season, or with me. May it haunt their houses pleasantly, and no one wish to lay it." Preface by Charles Dickens {December 1843}

My mom and sister have been practically begging me to read this classic by Charles Dickens' for several years and I finally got around to doing it! It's extremely short {only about 70 pages} and a perfect holiday treat. I think I might even read it again in December.

We all know the story. Ebenezer Scrooge has three ghostly encounters on Christmas Eve {well, four really, if you count Marley's visit}. He journeys with these ghosts through Christmases past, present and future, and he is ultimately transformed from an arrogant, obstinate, and insensitive miser to a generous, warmhearted, and caring human being.

I especially loved Scrooge's encounter with the Ghost of Christmas Present. The ghost takes him to see aquaintances and strangers as they celebrate Christmas day and Scrooge begins to realize the fun and happiness he is missing out on. I found a new favorite quote in this chapter: "It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humour."

I loved it. I recommend it to anyone looking for an uplifting holiday book! I would look for an illustrated version. Mine was not, but I've seen lots of fun ones!

No comments: