6.15.2008

walk two moons.

You know how sometimes you read a book at exactly the right time in life? This was one of those for me. The book is about a 13 year old girl who is traveling across the country to find her mother, who left one day to Idaho and hasn't returned. Something about reading this book while Sean was away made me really connect with Sal. I knew that Sean was coming home, but I was lonely & missed him! I especially loved this passage:

"As the days went on, many things were harder and sadder, but some things were strangely easier. When my mother had been there, I was like a mirror. If she was happy, I was happy. If she was sad, I was sad. For the first few days after she left, I felt numb, non-feeling. I didn't know how to feel. I would find myself looking around for her, to see what I might want to feel."

This made me think about how I never knew what time to go to bed when Sean was gone. I always go to bed when he does. I kind of didn't know what to do with myself and I would stay up way too late :) Anyway, I loved the book. It made me laugh & cry & think. And it was beautifully written. I give it 5 stars! I also love The Wanderer, by Sharon Creech.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I love this book! I've read it to my class the pat couple of years, and they really just love Sal. I think especially since a lot of my kids come from one parent homes, they can really identify with her.

Love the blog!